Last updated on January 22nd, 2024 at 12:20 pm
Kratom has become popular for its ability to provide both stimulation and relaxation. The dried leaves are typically brewed into tea or powdered and mixed into drinks. However, some kratom users are exploring alternative preparations like liquid extracts and tinctures. Bottled liquid kratom shots have recently emerged as one of the fastest ways to get results.
But how do these liquid shots work, and are they safe? Kratom leaves contain over 40 distinct alkaloids that exert effects on the body and brain. Two of the main active compounds are mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine, both of which interact with opioid receptors to produce analgesic sensations.
When processed correctly, kratom extracts can concentrate these alkaloids while preserving their natural synergy. Liquid preparations like tinctures and shots aim to quickly deliver a concentrated kratom profile in portable, easy-to-dose form.
However, making a quality extract requires precision, and not all products live up to their labels. As the kratom market expands, it’s important to understand exactly what kratom liquid shots are and how to use them responsibly.
What Is Liquid Kratom?
Liquid kratom refers to kratom extracts prepared in liquid form as opposed to standard powder. There are a few different ways kratom can be extracted into a liquid:
- Water Extractions: By simmering raw kratom leaves in water, the alkaloids infuse into the water. The plant matter is strained, and the remaining liquid is the extract.
- Alcohol/Ethanol Tinctures: Tinctures are made by soaking kratom leaves in ethanol or other high-proof spirits to extract the alkaloids.
- Vinegar Extractions: Kratom alkaloids are soluble in acetic acid. Steeping kratom in vinegar can produce a concentrated liquid.
- Citric Acid Extractions: Lemon and other citrus fruits contain citric acid capable of stripping alkaloids from kratom powder.
No matter the process, liquid kratom aims to rapidly deliver a robust profile of stimulating and sedating kratom alkaloids. The convenience and portability of liquid shots and tinctures have made them popular options.
Liquid Kratom Extract
At its simplest, a liquid kratom extract involves creating a tea from kratom leaves, concentrating it down to remove all the water, and bottling the final product. This results in a dark, thick liquid containing the full spectrum of kratom alkaloids extracted from the leaf.
However, the quality of any extract depends heavily on:
- The strain, vein color, and quality of source leaves
- Extraction method, pH, time, and precision followed
- How far the extract is concentrated down
Not all extraction processes are equal. Higher-quality kratom extracts require meticulous, specialized methods to achieve the desired potency and purity. The more concentrated the liquid, the lower the required dose.
Quality is also dependent on what solvent is used during extraction. Water, ethanol, vinegar, and citric acid can all strip alkaloids from kratom powder. However, some claim that alcohol may extract a wider range of compounds compared to water alone.
In general, liquid kratom extracts aim to provide the full spectrum of alkaloids in a concentrated shot. But due to a lack of oversight and regulation, the purity and potency of commercial extracts vary greatly.
Liquid Kratom Shots Explained
Kratom shots refer to bottled kratom extracts typically made using ethanol and natural concentrates. They are called shots due to their small bottle size, similar to 5-hour energy drinks and other dietary supplement shots.
Here are some characteristics of commercial kratom shots:
- Packaged in 1-3-ounce single-serving bottles
- Offered in various “flavors” like citrus, chocolate, coffee, etc.
- Contain liquid kratom extract + flavorings and additives
- Dose is roughly equivalent to 5-7 grams raw powder
The ethanol extracts the key alkaloids from kratom leaves to make a concentrated botanical liquid. Natural or artificial flavors are added to mask the bitter taste of kratom. The small bottles provide a convenient, measured kratom shot.
Kratom shots emerged as a way to enjoy the stimulating and soothing effects of the herb discreetly and on-the-go. However, quality and safety issues have surrounded some brands.
Why Do People Enjoy Liquid Shots?
Kratom shots have become popular ways to quickly get effects with convenience and portability. Some reasons for their appeal include:
- Faster Onset: Since liquid extracts are already broken down and concentrated in water or alcohol, they can enter the bloodstream rapidly through the mucous membranes of the mouth and esophagus. Many users report shots kicking in within just 5–10 minutes.
- No Measuring or Mixing: Pre-packaged shots eliminate the need to manually measure loose powder and mix drinks. Just open the bottle and take your pre-measured serving.
- Portability: The small bottle size fits into a pocket, bag, or purse for dosing on-the-go. No supplies are needed other than the shot bottle itself.
- Improved Taste: Extracts concentrate all the bitter plant matter into a small volume. Added flavors and sweeteners help mask the bitterness to make shots more palatable.
- Convenience: Shots provide a quick, simple way to get kratom’s effects using a familiar, easy-to-dose format. No preparation or cleanup is required.
For these reasons, kratom shots have become popular supplements and alternatives to sugary energy drinks or pills. However, the convenience comes at a cost.
Are Liquid Kratom Shots Dangerous?
While providing a fast pick-me-up, kratom shots have developed a somewhat negative reputation due to certain risks:
- Hidden Adulterants: Without regulation, some shots have been found to contain other additives, like caffeine, that aren’t listed. This increases the risk of side effects of kratom.
- Bacterial Contamination: Any liquid supplement has the potential to harbor dangerous bacteria if not prepared properly. Low-quality or impure shots may lack sterility.
- Inconsistent Dosing: It’s difficult to verify the true potency and kratom content in commercial shots. Extract strength can vary widely between brands.
- Interactions: Shots taken with other caffeine sources or substances that act on opioid receptors may increase safety concerns.
- Overdose: Taking multiple shots daily or back-to-back increases risk of kratom overdose along with nausea, dizziness, and sedation.
While not inherently dangerous for most, kratom shots should be used cautiously, like any supplement. Supervision by health professionals is advised.
For optimal safety and results, turn to trusted, lab-tested kratom vendors with their own strict manufacturing practices instead of gas station shots. Quality vendors also provide knowledge on safe dosing.
Other Quick Kratom Extract Options
Liquid shots offer one format to rapidly get effects from concentrated kratom. Alternatives like extracts, resins, and tinctures are also available.
Powdered Extracts – These are created by boiling off excess water to make super-concentrated dried powder. They test as high as 50% mitragynine.
Kratom Resin – Made by boiling raw leaves down into a tar-like solid extract that can be chewed or prepared like regular leaf powder.
Kratom Tinctures: These use ethanol to extract alkaloids. Taken under the tongue, effects emerge within minutes.
While shots provide portability, these other formats can achieve rapid results without additives. Working with pure products from trusted labs allows for superior control over precise dosing as well.
Closely related to kratom shots are tinctures – liquid extracts typically made using high proof ethanol instead of water. Here is how kratom tinctures work:
- Finely ground kratom leaf is added to ethanol or neutral spirits
- Mixture sits for several weeks allowing ethanol to fully extract alkaloids
- Liquid is strained, leaving behind an aroma-rich tincture
Tinctures pull out fragrances of the kratom leaf along with the main bioactive compounds. Dropped under the tongue, they provide convenience similar to shots. But raw powder or leaves are used as the base rather than discarding the plant matter.
For those seeking portability along with full spectrum kratom effects, tinctures are commonly superior to commercial bottled shots. However, learning to dose them correctly takes some trial and error.
Kratom shots provide a convenient format to get effects quickly from an easily portable bottle. However, the purity and quality of commercial shots varies greatly. For more control over dosing and results, consider alternatives like kratom resin, pure powdered extracts, or ethanol tinctures from trusted vendors.
These balance rapid effects with the flexibility of measuring your ideal dose. Ultimately, liquid kratom should be viewed as merely a delivery format – quality depends most on the source leaves and extraction methods used.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I use a Kratom Liquid Shot?
Shake the bottle well before consumption, start with a smaller amount if you’re new, and consider taking it on an empty stomach for optimal effects.
Are Kratom Liquid Shots safe?
Quality matters – ensure you get it from a reputable source. Consume in moderation and consult a healthcare professional if you have health concerns or are on medication.
What distinguishes Kratom Liquid Shots from other forms of Kratom?
Kratom Liquid Shots stand out as a concentrated, portable form of Kratom extract, packaged in small bottles for convenience.
How fast does a Kratom Liquid Shot take effect?
Thanks to its liquid form, the absorption is quick, providing a faster onset of effects compared to some other Kratom forms.
Can I mix a Kratom Liquid Shot with other beverages?
While it’s possible, it’s recommended to consume it as is for the best experience. Mixing it may dilute the concentration and affect the potency.